We had our first childbirth class last night. We started our 11 week series with nutrition and exercise. The nutrition part I feel like I am doing a really good job (well as long as you don't include my love for cupcakes and just about anything sweet...hey we can't all be perfect!) About a year and a half ago, J and I really started to pay attention to the foods we consume and while it was difficult at first, it is habit now and I'm really thankful for these changes now.
The habit I REALLY wish I would have picked up earlier is exercise. In class, we went over a few simple stretches and the lesson learned was that I really need to start doing stretching and exercise on a regular basis...immediately. I have heard from several different sources that childbirth, natural childbirth, is like running a marathon. And at this point I don't know if I could complete the 50 yard dash! So it's time to start training :)
I hope everyone had a fun Halloween! Last year, I only bought 4 bags of candy as it was our first year and I had no idea what to expect. Well 4 bags lasted 12 minutes! So this year I was prepared....12 bags made it 2 hours! It was fun to see all of the kids, especially the little ones. Can't wait for next Halloween when Baby V will be here to help :)
(From Left to Right: Moon designed by me, executed by J--Scary Face D/E by J--Ghost D/E by me--"Baby V" designed by me, executed by J)
I reflected on the night's events later in the evening. I smiled to myself and realized that it was a very memorable Halloween. Not because of smashed pumpkins or adorable trick or treaters...but because this would be the last time it will just be us. We had started a game of Monopoly on my iphone the night before and while I had the most real estate, I was getting my butt kicked royally! We sat in the formal living room to be close to the front door and played Monopoly for 2 hours in between answering the door together (J held ridiculously large bowl of candy while I passed out the goodies). We laughed at my terrible misfortune and J would gloat about his ever increasing fortune which was funded by...me! I remember thinking at one point that it is amazing that after 6 years together we still have so much fun together. I don't know if this unusual or normal for most couples but I never thought it would be possible in my life (for those who don't know me well, I am a awful pessimist). We are far from perfect and no better than anyone else but it pleased me so much to realize that after all this time we can spend two hours, free from the distractions of daily life, to goof off and just thoroughly enjoy each others company.
My only hope is that when Baby V arrives we don't lose this joy and playfulness. When the stress of life becomes too great, we never let it get the best of us. And that we continue to find humor in everyday life ;)
Enough with my sentiment rambling but it's the simple events that make the best memories...

At 11 inches (the length of a spaghetti squash) and almost 1 pound, your baby is starting to look like a miniature newborn. His lips, eyelids, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and he's even developing tiny tooth buds beneath his gums. His eyes have formed, but his irises (the colored part of the eye) still lack pigment. If you could see inside your womb, you'd be able to spot the fine hair (lanugo) that covers his body and the deep wrinkles on his skin, which he'll sport until he adds a padding of fat to fill them in. Inside his belly, his pancreas — essential for the production of some important hormones — is developing steadily.
Love to you all,
Lindsey
No comments:
Post a Comment