When my sister-in-law enrolled her daughter in a baby sign language class a few years back, I was skeptical at best. And then one day while babysitting, she proved me wrong by signing that she was all done eating. How neat!
When it came time to enroll Jack, I was again skeptical. Not only in a 6 months olds ability to learn sign language but also my own.
Now, 4 months later, we are both doing great! His favorite signs are "light" and "fan". Totally random, I know.
The other day he did the sign for bed and I couldn't have been any more proud. I don't know why this particular sign means so much to me…I just think it is so cool that at 10 months he is learning to express some of his needs in a way that clearly makes sense to me.
Here is the link for Signing Smart if any mommies out there are interesting in learning more: Signing Smart
ASL bed sign is here.
And for you skeptics out there here is Jack doing the sign :)
Lindsey
I hear ya! We never enrolled in a class but I have been using them (when I can remember) for a few months now...I think I started around 6 or 7 months and I purchased a really awesome baby signs book too. She actually just started signing milk today, and has been doing all done for awhile now. She is really intrigued by some of the animal ones. I can tell if I start using them more she is really gonna take off with them. It's crazy how fast they learn.....she is mimicking me like crazy right now....dog, duck, banana (nana) of course all said in baby babble but I know its her repeating me....He is so cute by the way! Good job on the persistence with signing. It's nice to know it pays off....cause when you start trying it feels like a losing battle!
ReplyDeleteWhat a smart little guy! Owen knows a few too, "more" and "cracker" were his favorites. It was so neat before he could talk. Sometimes he still signs more even though he can say it too.
ReplyDelete