We are realizing there is so much we don't know and I think deep down we are both starting to freak out a bit. Justin has had some experience with his nephews when they were babies and I have had minimal exposure to babies and zero experience with baby boys. Since I found out we were having a boy I have been trying to figure out the logistics involved in changing a little boy's diaper...I even looked into pee pee teepees (if you have never heard of them Google it, you'll get a good laugh!) I realize that a 'golden shower' from my son is inevitable but I think after the first time I will have figured out the error in my ways...and my dodging reflexes will have been sharped ;)
There are so many answers we don't have and so many questions we haven't even thought of and I know everyone will say "You'll figure it out" but still the great unknown is becoming a bit overwhelming! How many bottles do we need? Glass vs plastic bottles? Cloth vs disposable diapers? How will we know when and what we can feed him? And the list goes on and on...
For those of you who don't know me well, I'll let you in on a secret...I am super anal about how things are cleaned and kept in my house. I don't trust anyone to clean my house except me (I will admit that sometimes I refold laundry that J has already folded because it's not 'right') and I need for things to be kept organized and picked up. Our home isn't always spotless but it is generally void of big messes. My husband will be the first to tell you that I LOVE to 'purge'...meaning I absolutely hate clutter and have no problem throwing useless items away. So you get the picture....I see this being a HUGE problem for me when Baby V arrives!
Let's be honest, babies are sticky, messy, and generally come with a lot of loud, bright, plastic STUFF! I have finally achieved my 'adult' house; it is nicely decorated and it is filled with nice things. And if our dogs haven't done enough damage to some of these 'nice things', I'm sure our little boy will finish them off :(
While I have not fully accepted this soon to be new reality, I am beginning to mentally prepare myself for the fact that my lovely, adult, organized, and uncluttered home is about to be a thing of distant memory. I am going to need to learn to relax, let go, and accept that this is just another unavoidable change associated with having a family.
Please don't misconstrue my comments to think that I am regretful or unhappy about Baby V's arrival, I am quiet the opposite! But these are just some of the things I am afraid I will struggle with once he is here.
Our little man has been super active over the past week. His little reflex punches are turning into actual movements that run from one side of my belly to the other. Justin has been able to feel his hiccups and the other night Baby V ran a hand or foot under Daddy's hand...a very new experience for both of us and one that left us with a shocked look on our faces.

This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with his legs extended. He's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing his eyes, and perhaps even sucking his fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if he were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother him, so just relax and enjoy the tickle.
Have a great week!
Lindsey
I was in the same boat! I was not familar with baby boys as we had all girls in our family! Let me tell you he peed on me too many times to remember the first few weeks. I STILL cover it up when changing him :) And yes your home will become baby land as I'm sure it has already started too, you will love it!
ReplyDelete